Monday, June 9, 2014

Flat, Sideways World

Trying to accommodate a body that I can't control or really feel can be a challenge, especially when dealing with major skin problems. However, it is something that comes with the quad life and must be done. A few weeks ago, I started getting a headache and very stiff muscles after sitting for a short time, so I took the clue that I need to try to get down even more.

Fortunately, last month was very slow for work, only totaling nine-hours, but I still had things to do. Laying flat on my back or on my side for a couple hours is a great opportunity to nap, but I can only do that so much. With necessity being the mother of invention, I have learned that old quads can learn new tricks.

Reading a Magazine
While laying on my side, my nurses and I have worked it so that I can read a magazine, book, or run a Kindle with a special mouth stick. I have never been much of a reader, but these last few months have seen me doing a lot. A magazine I subscribe to comes quarterly, and I used to barely finish one before the next one came. With the latest issue, I finished it well over a month before the next one comes and have started on a few books I've had for a few years but haven't touched. Learning to read at an angle took time, but I'm pretty used to it now. Maybe pressure sores are the key to finally getting me to read. Laying flat has also produced new tricks.

When on my computer, like right now, I'm usually sitting in my bed or my chair. However, I'm now also working on it while flat. I started out by just watching episodes of Macgyver and having the keyboard within reach to change episodes when one finished. That developed into adding my wireless mouse in the mix and learning how to work it while flat. I try to do as much as possible via keyboard and have learned a few more keyboard shortcuts, but it does work. Instead of just watching TV episodes or movies I can also play a few games and email people.

The only remaining problem is being able to see what I'm doing. When I'm flat, the computer screen is past my feet, so at least five feet away from my face, further away than my nearsightedness lets me read. In bed, I'm usually fine without my glasses, but they may become an addition to the laying flat routine. I've learned even if you can't move or lay in a good position, you can still do things if you really want.

7 comments:

  1. Do you tend to fall asleep during your flat time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, but not often. Now I mainly watch things online, like YouTube, or play games.

      Delete
    2. How do you manage not to drift off to sleep while reading or watching videos in that position?
      I tend to feel sleepy very often lately and only getting distracted helps to keep me awake... But it's not productive at all...

      Delete
    3. Practice I guess, plus I'm in the position most of the day.

      Delete
  2. Joel, what time do you usually go to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night nurse comes at 10:00 and I'm usually ready for sleep by 11:30 and up around 7:15.

      Delete
  3. And why do you like trains so much? Would you have liked to be a train engineer?

    ReplyDelete