Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Royal We

A late post this week, but it is still within the correct time. On weekday afternoons, I have been watching an online show that covers Biblical evangelism. While watching, you can chat with others who are doing the same thing.

Caregivers from time past
One of them asked me where I live, and I answered we live in southeast Iowa, about an hour from Des Moines. His response was that he wasn't familiar with the city, but lived in Wisconsin. Therefore, I related my location to a few cities in his area, again saying we are a particular distance. After more responses using the plural, he wandered why I kept saying we and not I.

After some thinking, my answer was that I was referencing my town and family, not just me. In most conversations though, I find it strange, and even somewhat difficult, to just say I.

For pretty well every activity, I need help from someone else. I can run the computer on my own, but only after someone gets it setup for more. If I go to an activity such as a movie, concert, or just out to eat, I have to have two times the cost. For business meetings, I need to make sure the other person knows I'm bringing someone. I might be a bachelor, but everything I do is essentially as a couple.

When medical needs are being taken care of, caregivers will often ask how "we" are doing. I often respond with, "I don't know about you, but I'm fine." After so many years of hearing this, we has become my normal wording for most situations. It's only at times like above, when I'm not seen, that someone questions my reasoning.

In Matthew 28:20, Jesus tells His disciples that He is always with them, even to the end of the age. Therefore, no matter if we have a person physically with us or not, we are never truly alone. It's a part of the quad life, and every life that has been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment