Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Working Legs

In my life, I've been blessed to be surrounded by people that help me do things I enjoy. For many years, I served as a counselor at CHAMP Camp and have loved working with the kids. Giving talks at grade schools for the past decade, and recently colleges, is also a great break from programming web sites.

On occasion, I get do something extra like trying out the zip line at camp last year and going to the Creation Museum a few weeks ago. Monday was something all these combined, and still has me grinning thinking about it.

A lot has changed in rehab technology since my injury three decades ago. One addition is something called an FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) bike. It's similar in practice to my diaphragm pacemaker in that it uses electric pulses to stimulate muscles. In this case, electrodes are part on my legs, and other areas. to stimulate the muscles to pedal a stationary bicycle. Other, younger, quads I work with use this system, so I thought I would give it a try. It took getting a new bone density test, but my doctor approved for me to try it.

Getting setup for the first time took quite a bit of arranging, but I was able to stay in my chair, just with the leg rests removed. The PT got to know me quite well in placing the electrodes on my legs and lower back. After some final tweaking, everything was set.

The first two minutes were completely done by the machine turning the pedals and my legs just along for the ride. It felt great to have my legs actually moving in unison with each other and going through the cycling motion. After the warm up, it was a combination of motor and my own muscles doing the pedaling.

Initially, my one leg spasmed a fare amount, but not bad enough to stop the process. The next 15 minutes was something I don't ever remember feeling of my legs actually pedaling. We tried going with just my own muscles, but that didn't work for more than just a few seconds. Afterward, my legs, and arms, were calmer than they have been in years. Nine hours later, they were still very loose compared to normal.

One of the technicians said that repeated use will help improve circulation, and aid healing my wounds, and improve my muscle and bone density. Ideally, I should do weekly, or get my own and pedal 3-5 times a week. I would love to be able to do that, but weekly trips to Des Moines take a lot of time as well as gas and vehicle use. However, the system costs $14,000 and may not be covered by insurance.

I'm scheduled to go again next week and I can't wait for the appointment to come. God has given us very unique tools to help with paralyzed bodies and I'm glad I can use this one at least a few times, and try to keep from grinning.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Hadn't read your blog before - thanks for sharing it on FB.

    ReplyDelete