Monday, February 15, 2016

Special Inclusion

Last week, there was a short segment on the news (sorry, can't find a link) about a special needs prom. It was organized be different businesses and volunteers and a typical high school prom night for people with physical and/or cognitive disabilities. A friend on Facebook (disability advocate) wrote yesterday how she would like to see these activities stop and allow better inclusiveness in regular events. I can see arguments for both sides of the debate.

I was fortunate in high school that I could do pretty well every activity the school sponsored. In my last half of school I went to the Junior/Senior Banquet (our school's prom) both years my class attended. My group of friends just happened to be five girls, so we just dressed up, got a table for us and had a fun time. We didn't think anything of it, I was just part of the class and went along with the flow. For me, it was easy.

For some people though, I know they are uncomfortable being the only wheelchair user in a group, especially if it's a recent addition. Others may not like crowds or have trouble interacting in social situations. In these cases, I can see why something separate may be more comfortable.

Making an effort to include everyone, with or without a disability, should always be done. In most cases, this isn't too much of a challenge. Making sure events are held in accessible buildings and table layout allows room for a wheelchair takes some planning, but not much. If someone doesn't care for crowds, have them near a door where they can step out for a break and join the activities again later. No, I don't expect every game or activity to be accessible by mouth stick, although that be great, their should be a variety of options available for all.

One point was made though that businesses love sponsoring these events and telling the world. Advertising is great, but it can sometimes feel like it's being done just to say "look at what we did," instead of just wanting to help.

No matter if you're living the quad life or not, it's great to feel included in society. There are many opportunities to be had, but only if you go for them. That can sometimes be the hardest, but a source of strength is just a prayer away.

No comments:

Post a Comment