Sunday, February 21, 2016

Wanting More

In my Bible reading this week, I have been reading about the Israelites' time between Egypt and Canaan. They had seen God's hand in getting them out of Egypt and every day gathered manna from the desert floor that was provided by God. They also saw His leading by a pillar of fire at night and cloud during the day. With all this, they still complained that they wanted more.

I can look at them and wonder how they could dare ask for more. However, I can also see myself acting exactly the same. I ave been given so much in this life, but yet I'm still not happy and always ask for more. We say it is the American way to always want more possessions, but the Israelites had us beat.

Yesterday was the 31st anniversary of starting the quad life. In these years, I've been given more caregivers than I can remember. They have helped my family and I through every aspect of daily living and continue to do so. I know several other people living the quad life that don't have anywhere near as much.

My parents do more than I could ever ask for to help me and get me healthy and active. I am very thankful they were given to me and I don't deserve all they do from working to keep insurance coverage, staying up all night, and much more. Parents don't always stay around in situations like ours, especially not both.

First bike ride of 2016
The list continues with being able to work, talk at schools, have reliable transportation that I can use, good health, live outside of a nursing home, and more. I have been immensely blessed and cared for by God's providing all this life, and I still dare to always want more.

Last year's opportunity to use the bike in Des Moines was more than I could have imagined, but yet I want my own instead of traveling an hour to use it. I covet other people's lives that don't have to deal with so much of a physical disability and get to live on their own. Despite having clients and schools I regular speak at, I'm always wanting more and trying to increase the numbers.

Being content with what we have been given is a rarity and I am just the same as people and nations of ancient times. I know that all that I've been given can also be taken away just as quickly as my ability to use my body was these decades ago. As you go throughout this week, let's try to learn to be satisfied with what has been given, and thankful that we already have what is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment