Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Tools

Yesterday, I spoke at a grade school in Des Moines. This isn't a new event, but it was my first time at this particular school and it had a few new challenges. Due to me not understanding correctly, I had a few surprises.

My calendar said that I was first speaking to 4th through 8th grade students at their morning chapel. Chapel in Christian school is generally a time of singing praise songs and listening to a speaker for a short while before starting classes. After I spoke, the younger grades would have their chapel time and then I would do my regular presentation for the 3rd grade students. That's partially what happened.

For the last several weeks I have been putting together a presentation for this chapel that would work in the allotted time and not require student participation, unlike my usual presentations. I went with the topic of using tools. We all use tools for every task God has given us, be it legs, voice, pen and paper, or wheelchair and mouth stick. The ultimate tools we have been given are God's Word, the Bible, and the door of salvation, Jesus. I only had to add one story in to get to the right time and it went well.

Just after I finished, I learned I would be the presenter for the younger kids as well. I started to think of what to say, and not say, so I would still have something to cover with the 3rd graders. I then did a similar presentation as with the older grades, but didn't cover as much and tried keeping it more interactive. I still had items left for the last class and everything seemed to go well.

I'm very thankful I was allowed to speak with these kids and the impromptu talks were a fun challenge. Looking back, I would have done some things differently, but that means I will know for another time.

Unexpected times in the quad life aren't always a bad thing. I'm thankful God gave me the words to say and that He allows me to teach in this way. I look forward to the next time, in two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment