Monday, October 17, 2016

Hours and Hours

During my flat time, one of my activities is playing Farming Simulator 15. The primary function is to prepare a field for planting, plant the crop, harvest, and repeat for infinity. Adding in livestock or different crops increases the activity, but it's still basically a series of repetition. Somehow though, I still enjoy it.

Planting Wheat
Next week, an updated version is being released, Farm Sim 17. Yes, 17 is being released in 2016, but programmers don't pay much attention to calendars. I've been watching as information is released and reading reviews from various sources. One reviewer started his commentary by saying he has over 600 hours playing the current version of the game and is an expert. I was mildly impressed, until I looked at my own numbers.

In the two years since starting the game, I have played on four different farms. With these four combined, I have accumulated over 800 hours. Half of that is from just one map alone. Thinking further, that is over an hour of game time per day. I'm also thinking the time has been increasing more rapidly in the past six months or so than the previous 18. Averaging over an hour a day for a game is okay, but where else is time better spent?

I don't have an automatically recorded time for anything else I do, so it's just estimating from observation. Reading Scripture twice a day takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on chapter length. I try to read during some of my down time, but it only ends up being a couple hours per week. The remainder of the day is taken in sleep (or attempting), every day needs, and various activities such as work and chatting.

Looking at how I spend time in the quad life isn't anything new. I'll see what God has planned for the time He has given me this coming week.

2 comments:

  1. How are you finding Farming Simulator 2017? What input method do you use? I'm guessing dragon naturally speaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it pretty well. It's a good change from the previous version. For computer control, I just use a mouth stick for everything.

      Delete