Sunday, October 21, 2018

Quad Travels

With the challenges of every day life, it isn't very common for high level quads like me to take vacations far from home. This year, with camp in June and Kentucky a few weeks ago, I was able to go out twice.

Excluding camp, this is the first time in three years that I have gone anywhere. Most people go on trips to see particular destinations or visit friends and family. For me, I want traveling to serve some purpose of helping others in some way. If that can coincide with meeting friends and seeing a destination, it's an added bonus.

I think that is partly why I also don't travel very often. Personally, just going somewhere and being a tourist doesn't sound very exciting. Going to Indianapolis every year to camp helps serve kids and the trip earlier this month was to preach and serve a church congregation. The last one just also worked out to also see friends I rarely talk with and visit the Ark Encounter.

Every year though, it gets harder to go anywhere no matter what purpose or destination. It takes several days worth of packing to get all my stuff and making sure I have enough supplies on hand. Then, finding the people that can help me and are willing to come along.

For the last several years, at least one if not both of my parents end up going with me along with my main day assistant. This means time away from family for my caregiver and time off work and taking vacation hours for my parents. All of it takes an increasing physical toll as everyone ages as well as mental stress that everything will go as planned.

After this year, I'm really questioning if attempting more vacations to camp, or anywhere, are still worth the effort. Each journey gets harder for me to recover as well as everyone that helps. I don't have anything further planned for this year at least. I don't have a guess for 2019, but the traveling quad life will likely become an even rarer occasion. I'm thankful for the opportunities I have had so far and the memories they inspire. I'll see what another week brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment