Sunday, June 2, 2019

Legacy or Lunacy

A couple weeks ago, my parents got away for a week of vacation. Since they usually cover the evenings, that means finding people to help watch me. Thankfully, I still have grandparents and relatives that are able to help.

For two evenings, dad's parents came to stay between my day nurse and night nurse nurse. Grandma usually comes first with grandpa arriving just in time for supper. Unfortunately, they are not able to move me around in bed. Therefore, wherever the nurse has me positioned when she leaves at 5:00 is where I stay. Thankfully, my grandparents are quite capable of putting the bed down and propping my head with pillows so I can do something.

The first evening they stayed, I wasn't laying very well and couldn't do much. Grandpa did enjoy watching me play Farming Simulator 19. He watched, and snored, while I worked in my virtual fields with virtual equipment.

On their second evening, I was left much better positioned. After I had been flat for over 3.5 hours, I had grandpa and grandma sit me up in bed again. They managed well and has become my usual routine, I started working on writing my book. Grandma inquired to my activity and I told her about this project I've been doing for nearly 18 months. She responded that she hopes to get to read it someday. A week later, when mom was at work, grandpa told her he hopes to get to read my book before he dies. It was a surprise revelation to her, and me.

In this past year-and-a-half, I have sometimes wondered why I am taking on this writing task. In some ways, I feel it to be my way of leaving a memory or legacy. I don't have kids and hardly anything to show for work that would leave an impression on anyone. I talk to a lot of students, both grade school and college, but I'm quite certain most forget about me within a week at the most. I know it's doubtful that anything will ever get published, let alone be something anyone other than relatives would buy. Knowing how life usually goes, it would most likely get looked at by outsiders as something to joke about.

I am now about to start 2007, so I am at least catching up to modern times. If anything ever comes from it or not, I'm thankful for the quad life God has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment