Sunday, July 28, 2019

Activity List

Imagine if you were told you only had a few months to live. What would you do? People often talk about having a bucket list, things they want to do before kicking the bucket. They can be good lists, but what would be your priority?

In many ways, that's what I feel like I'm doing now. Just after camp, I was told my main night nurse would be leaving at the end of August, two months away. I haven't been very successful, but I have been trying to do favorite or delayed activities before that time comes. One of them happened this weekend.

Friends at the park
Early this summer, my best friend, John, said he would like to try to visit this summer while his kids were out of school. I mailed him Tuesday to see if a time was still possible to come and he arrived late Friday afternoon.

The last time John came was May 2017. We frequently talk via Facetime and messenger, but it's not the same as in person. Seeing how much John's boys have grown was fun and getting to interact with them more. Discussions about life's struggles are much better done in person and working through possible future scenarios.

Just 26 hours after they came, it was time to head home again. It was a quick stop, but I'm very thankful it was able to happen. I learned that my time is shorter than expected and instead of late August, the nurse is leaving on the 14th.

Next month's schedule has several weekends without coverage that will make days difficult. I am also very uncomfortable with one of my current night assistants and see that her hours are increased. I'm thankful that my parents can sleep when she's here, but it means sleepless nights for me as I count the hours to her departure.

My short list of activities I hoped to do before losing coverage will not be completed. As the new schedule starts with decreasing coverage, I don't know what the future holds. Whatever comes, I'm trusting God's plan for this quad life and pray I can still be an active member of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment