Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day at Home

Every year, we set aside a special day to celebrate mothers. These are the special people God used to form our bodies, then help train us how to get along in this fallen world. Looking back at previous years, most family traditions are similar. Dad takes responsibility for meals, hopefully, and mom gets to have time to enjoy her favorite activities. This year, it looks a little different.

With the threat of coronavirus, most people have been staying at home. That means no going out to get mom flowers, candy, or a card to help commemorate the day. I have seen a few commercials recently advertising jewelry for Mother's Day, but I'm guessing it won't be a popular gift with many people off from work. Since many moms have been stuck at home with their children all day for two months, some may just want to get away from their offspring.

For my mother, I had to resort to sending a virtual card to her email. She and dad have been braving the stores to get supplies I usually acquire on my own. Somehow, having them pick out and purchase a card for me to just sign didn't quite sound right.

Again this year, I am reminded how blessed I am to have my mother. She normally works two days a week doing book work at dad's family's grain elevator. However, it is a common communal spot for farmers to sit around drinking coffee, solving (and possibly aiding) the world's problems. In order to help stay away from people and virus exposure, mom has voluntarily stayed home since March.

With grocery runs, and supplies, limited mom has also managed very well to keep the three of us well fed with healthy meals. She also continues to keep track of my caregivers' hours every week along with running the house.

Mother's Day 2020 will not include pictures of going out or getting together with grandmothers. Many families are liking meeting with their mothers virtually this year, but it still counts as celebrating. Thank you mom for everything you do and rolling with the ever-changing flow. Hopefully next year will allow for an increase in festivities for this special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment