Sunday, May 24, 2020

Venturing Out

For the past three months, I have been quarantined in my house. I went out watching trains a few times, but stayed in the van and didn't interact with anyone. This week I went out in public for the first time since the start of the virus scare.

My last doctor's appointment was with my regular checkup with my urologist. It had been a while since I last had my kidneys checked, so wanted me to get an ultrasound. With everything going on, I delayed the test twice, but decided to go ahead and try this week's appointment.

I rarely do anything at my local hospital, but thought I would try them for a simple scan. However, they require all visitors to wear a mask. I couldn't think of how to make one with a hole for my chin so I could drive, so thought it could just be pushed up. When my caregiver Sara and I got to the hospital parking lot and exited the van, she put my mask on. I attempted to drive with it on my chin, but it didn't work. Making room to drive though pushed the face cover closer to my eyes. It became a constant battle to have it just high enough, but not too much. Once we got to the procedure room, the fun continued.

The technician let me stay in my chair for the procedure, but that required some gymnastics from Sara. She had to hold my arm rests up and out of the way, while still giving space for the x-ray tech to get me. It worked for the right side, but my left kidney wasn't showing up where it should.

I've been through many medical procedures, but I don't recall anyone stealing any organs, at least not yet. The next place to search was from my back, but this made for more fun. Sara pulled me forward so I leaned on her arm while the hunt continued for my missing part. This meant my mask pushed on my face, attempting to enter my eyes again, and adding to the circus that can be the quad life.

After a few minutes, everything was found and scanned and I was returned to my regular position. I was very thankful to get back out toward the van to again have a free face. Two days later, my doctor called to report all is well. That was good to hear, but I will need to attempt annual checks. I'm glad to give wheelchair experience to small-town medical staff, but may do my next one in Des Moines.

Later this week, I'm scheduled to finally get a hair cut, but with the same mask requirements. I am glad to see everything starting to get back toward normal. I pray that it will continue, and drop the required face covering.

1 comment: