Sunday, October 25, 2020

Time, or not to Time

The end of October has been busy for speaking engagements. Last week, I posted about doing the virtual training with OT students. Friday morning, I was the chapel speaker at a small Christian school, and this morning I preached. Reviewing and keeping each presentation separate in my head was a challenge, but timing my talks was another issue.

When I started speaking at grade schools over 15 years ago, I carefully monitored my watch to see when my allotted time was up. I didn't want to take too much of the teacher's day and also keep the students' attention. I still do similar today, especially when visiting multiple rooms, but not quite as carefully and judge by how the kids are reacting. Colleges, I try to keep around an hour, but most are okay with going over and having less time with the instructor.

Last week's virtual class was very strict on time, but not the latest two events. I could go anywhere from 10-20 minutes with chapel and the remaining period would be filled with an activity. Therefore, I just talked and allowed however long it took. With preaching, I have started taking the same method. I very rarely look at my watch and primarily just go until everything I had planned is finished. Some in the congregation may not agree with this method, but I'm only an infrequent preacher anyway.

The big thing I worked on with my last two sermons was timing my Scripture reading. My biggest complaint, or regret, about my diaphragm pacemaker is pausing to take a breath every four seconds. I can hide it fairly well in normal speech, but not when reading. Therefore, I try to plan what to read, when to pause, and try to make it sound natural. Getting to read God's Word is a privilege that many people around the world don't have; and reformers like John Wycliffe gave their life for making the Bible available to everyone. I want to present it as clearly as possible, but the breathing quad life adds a challenge.

After today, I'm not scheduled to preach, or speak, anywhere until late November. That is also the latest in the year I generally agree to go anywhere. However, this weekend already feels like winter; hopefully it's not a prelude of what's to come in months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment