Sunday, October 11, 2020

When Plans Plummet

My parents do a large amount of my care and covering hours that I don't have caregivers. For many years though, they have been able to take two extended, 7-10 day, vacations a year. In the evenings, when my parents usually help me, my grandparents and irregular caregivers helped cover the time. Now with both grandfathers gone, fewer hours for caregivers, and less help, it has become hard for them to get away for more than a day.

With fall approaching and the change in trees, mom and dad got it arranged to be gone for two days and one night. Only one evening needed to be covered and my regular day assistant would cover Friday and Saturday as her regular shifts. When the weekend's weather was predicted, it looked like a great time to be out.

On Thursday, Sara, my assistant had a bit of a cough, but nothing unusual for this time of year and allergies. Friday morning though, ten minutes before my parents planned to leave, Sara called that was ill and wouldn't be able to come. Therefore, at 6:00 in the morning, they unpacked the few bags they had and called to cancel the hotel reservation.

This isn't the first time plans had to be changed, but I always feel bad when it happens. I was sad that Sara wasn't feeling well, and more disappointed that mom and dad couldn't get a break from me. I'm very thankful for all they have done and instead of looking forward to retirement years, they are still stuck with helping me. It is a part of the quad life that has become familiar, but never gets easier.

Yesterday, the predicted nice weather continued. The three of us took advantage of it and went to northern Iowa to watch trains for a few hours. It wasn't close to a two-day get away, but at least they were able to get out of the house for a while.

Winter will soon be showing its ugly head again when we don't go out at all. Even though it wasn't planned, I'm thankful when I can get out to enjoy God's creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment