Sunday, April 24, 2022

Feeling Behind

Sometimes, it feels like you go two steps, or maybe wheel lengths, forward and one back. This past week has felt similar, but it did at least end with feeling ahead.

Next week, I'm scheduled to preach at my home church for the first time since August of 2018. Instead of using a message I've given before, I felt lead to give a new sermon based on trusting the truth of the Bible. It has been a message I am excited to give, but it's also one that some can see as controversial. Since I'll be preaching close to home, several friends have said they plan to attend the service. I really don't get nervous speaking to crowds, but can start to second-guess my topic if I know some may not agree with it. I remind myself to not fear man, but trust in the Lord.

After Sunday's relaxation, I knew I had to spend the week on sermon preparation. I already had it mostly planned and written, but I didn't like parts of it. I thought I would have plenty of time to work on it, but it seemed like every time I was upright ended up getting filled with something for web development or my regular bike sessions took longer than expected. Therefore, I ended up only getting one time in the evening each day to dedicate to sermon planning. Thankfully, by Friday evening, I finished writing the message, making most of my notes, and the PowerPoint that goes along with it. Now I just need to get it more firm in my head and make prompts for the person running the presentation.

Friday was also another visit to a local grade school to speak with 2nd graders. This was the fourth out of the five schools I'm seeing in April and it was my largest class size. I was thankful for the opportunity and enjoy working with the students. After I had them write with their mouth, I referenced a video I had them watch about a boy with no arms and how he did everything. One girl realized the class was barefoot and as she perceived where I was going with my presentation, I heard "Oh no, oh no," quietly repeated in the midst of faces.

Despite her fears, everyone did okay with mouth writing and foot writing. They learned someone with a disability may do things differently, but in the end get the same thing accomplished. As the young lady's hesitation ended up being unnecessary, I'm sure mine will be the same. I am now headed into another busy week and thankful to be feeling well again.

No comments:

Post a Comment