Sunday, October 16, 2022

Getting a Good Rub

When possible, I like to use natural remedies and avoid medication as much as possible. I'm not one to completely refuse them and deal with the consequences, but I do what I can. One aspect of the quad life where I really apply this practice is with spasticity, or muscle spasms.

The first item is one I regularly mention, going barefoot. Shedding footwear helps with reduction of stimulation to my body and also has many health benefits for my feet. Second, I do passive range of motion (PROM) four times a day and the FES bike as much as possible. Both of these help keep my joints loose, improve circulation, muscle mass, and have recently allowed me to further reduce anti-spasm meds I take.

This has been my primary regimen for decades. However, I heard about another quadriplegic that also received massage to help. This week, I gave it a try as well and was surprised by the result.

A friend of mine from my school years recently moved on from doing physical therapy to massage at a local day spa. After a few message exchanges on Facebook, we figured out logistics in how to make it work and see what happened.

My caregiver and friend transferred me to the table and got me positioned as needed. My limbs are small, but they have strength to them and have hurt my caregivers before. I was concerned the rubbing would set them off, but thankfully they had minimal reaction. I watched and chatted as my arms received a good rubbing, and I could feel them relax. Moving to my shoulders and neck, where I can feel, my talking decreased as I enjoyed the feeling of muscles relaxing and loosing up.

When the hour-long session was complete, I got fully dressed and positioned in my chair again. Five hours later, my legs and arms were still loose, almost floppy, and barely twitched at stimulation they normally jump at. I didn't know what to expect, but I think I have another option to try to use natural methods for muscle control. It would only be monthly at most and not during the winter (too many clothes to remove and put on), but I'm thankful for the opportunity and look forward to next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment