Sunday, November 6, 2022

Short Exploration Visit

A couple weeks ago, my friend John came for his annual visit with his two boys. Due to having house guests all summer, it's getting harder for the three to come and hang out. Thankfully, an impromptu trip worked during a break from school.

I have fun seeing the boys grow, but annual visits mean they change rapidly. TJ in now nine and Jeremiah six-years-old. The youngsters are somewhat familiar with me, but I'm still a bit of a novelty. Jeremiah has become very talkative since last year and also more aware of his surroundings. While I was in bed, attempting to entertain him, he asked a few times about not being able to use my arms and legs. He also remembered I use a wheelchair and was curious when I would be in it.

Hearing his thoughts and inquiries is part of what I enjoy about being around kids. I gave answers that seemed to satisfy his curiosity and he soon saw me as just another adult, I think. Before lunch on Saturday, I was in my chair and we were all playing a few rounds of gas out (a game that includes flatulence). Between turns, Jeremiah had me rub his back with my mouth stick. I can't say I've thought of a stick as good for massage, but it made him happy.

Thankfully, it was also very warm for late October and our group of five guys (my dad, John and boys, and me), could stroll a few blocks down the street to a new accessible park in town. I have wanted to check out the park all summer, but thought a single 40-year-old guy showing up and looking around a children's playground would be a bit odd. I couldn't find anyone's children to barrow for an hour or two, so this was the time to look it over.

The ground surface had cement paths, but was mainly a hard compressed rubber. I'm sure it would be safe for kids to fall on, but my 500 lb chair sunk in. It felt like I was driving on waves or something that was moving and was actually fun just to drive around on and follow the boys around.

Next, dad saw a wheelchair accessible swing in one section. I only remember seeing one such swing in my life before this and I was glad to see one had been included. With the kids joining us, I rolled onto it while dad figured out how it worked. It didn't take much investigating and we were soon moving, with me sideways to the direction of motion. I soon regretted visiting after a meal and exited the ride. That was when it was noticed the swing was only meant for people ages 2-12, not three men more than three times that limit.

Unfortunately, John's wife became ill at home and our planned 42-hour visit became 23 instead. No matter the length of time, it was fun getting caught up and being with the kids again. Hopefully the next visit will be a little longer, but that could be another year away.

No comments:

Post a Comment