Sunday, April 23, 2023

Finding Supplies

I have posted a few times about monthly supplies. Every day, I use various items in order to keep my lungs clear, restroom needs, and more. While it usually goes well, this past week and month have been an extra challenge.

After ordering a new trach in December, it finally came on April 13. When I finally had time to look at it, something didn't appear right. I waited until one of my more mechanical minded caregivers came, and we saw that the new device didn't have the ability to use a blocker to seal off the trach (so I breathe my nose) or anything else. It was the right size, but that's all that was correct and is otherwise useless to me. Therefore, it's back to the doctor for corrected orders and try again. Hopefully it won't take until August or September to get another one.

On Wednesday, I asked my caregiver to check supplies to see what I needed to order. When she finished, everything was about what I expected, except one item. She only found ten suction catheters remaining. I knew I had ordered a box of 50 in March and had used several since then, but not that much. My caregiver, and the next two, searched everywhere, but couldn't find more. The paperwork from March said it was ordered and shipped, but not we couldn't see evidence of it. Friday night, the caregiver came who had unpacked the boxes last month. She did not remember ever seeing a box of suction catheters come, even though they had been charged to my insurance.

With this result, I'll make sure to have everyone use the system of marking off what is received and if done at night to also tell me. I ordered supplies Wednesday and everything was received Friday, except suction catheters. One of my first calls on Monday will be to check on their status and see where they are and expected time of arrival. I will also hope I don't need suctioned a lot until I can get more, or I'll need to try to see if I can get any from hospitals.

Such is the quad life sometimes. I also had trouble with getting medication refills this week, but that has now been resolved. Hopefully everything this week will get resolved without an issue. I am thankful such supplies are available though and they help to maintain health.

No comments:

Post a Comment