Sunday, June 25, 2023

Missing Summer Start

Summer officially started on June 21, but the weather in Iowa has generally been very pleasant for several weeks. This is the time of year I look forward to the most, but I feel like I have already missed a significant amount of it.

Part of what I enjoy during warm months is getting out on the deck at my house and sitting in the sun. After a few minutes of sitting directly facing the sun, I reposition so that my face and upper body are in shade. I bake my legs and feet, at least, for about 45-60 minutes and soak up my surroundings. Getting vitamin D naturally is great for your health in many ways, as well as just getting out of the house. I am careful to limit my time so I don't get burned.

Unfortunately, I have only been out on the deck 3-4 times this year so far. Spring was relatively cool and didn't allow for much time outdoors. Also, I only have one regular caregiver who is comfortable with getting me in my chair. She is also the one who goes with me on all my adventures (appointments). I have had several speaking engagements the past few months and I didn't have time to sit outside.

For the last few weeks, I was also dealing with UTIs and some of the treatment I was doing didn't allow me to easily get up. Now, my dad has been working on the deck by replacing boards, washing it, then applying stain. With large holes where rotten boards removed, I didn't think it was safe to navigate around them. Thankfully, work on the deck is nearly complete an my school visits are now complete. If it doesn't get too hot, I see more deck visits in my near future, finally.

Living in the upper Midwest, it sometimes seems like we have a brief window of opportunity to enjoy time outdoors in summer warmth; at least warmth as considered by the quad life. Whatever I am able to do, I'm thankful for the life God has given me and the opportunities to enjoy His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment