Sunday, June 18, 2023

A Fair Visit

As many Iowans, I make sure to visit the Iowa State Fair annually. A few years ago, I experienced some accessibility problems with parking. Since then, I have mainly had the same issues and have had to work around it. However, I don't like to let accessibility issues slide, especially when it may impact others.

In 2019, I wrote to the fair to let them know about parking problems, but it didn't receive much attention. Last year, I noticed some improvements on the fairgrounds, but more that needed work. Therefore, I composed another letter, but with more backing.

I am now in my fourth year in the Olmstead Consumer Task Force, and was recently elected to be vice-chair. Instead of sending the letter on my own, I included the task force as well. After several rounds of edits and approvals, it was sent to the Iowa State Fair. This time, they were happy to hear from us and wanted to meet in person to discuss changes.

On Friday, two other team members and I gathered at the fairgrounds and talked with their new CEO. We addressed several issues such as parking, restroom availability, bench access, and more. It felt like we were important and the offered suggestions would be addressed and hopefully improved.

With this year's fair less than two months away, it's unlikely any of our suggestions will be implemented this year. Thankfully, we were told that our timing was good as next year's budget is being considered and what to include.

I'm very thankful for all that I have been allowed to do. I do not like to complain, but want to try and make activities like the fair accessible for everyone. I will have to wait and see what changes, if anything, come in 2024, but I hope this quad life can help others.

2 comments:

  1. If you go to the fair this year, can you take pictures/videos of the animals?

    ReplyDelete