At my last dentist appointment, it was noticed one of my upper side teeth had developed a second crack. The suggested solution was to put a cap on it to protect from further damage. Therefore, I went back to the mouth doctor this week for the first of two appointments last Tuesday.
This time, my existing tooth was ground down to some determined point and a temporary cap put in place. Thanks to modern medicine, the procedure itself had little discomfort and only took about an hour. The primary dental hygienist helping me looked to be a recent graduate of dental school and my dentist and another hygienist made sure to fill her on my history and why I am a quadriplegic. Other than occasional confirmation grunts while my mouth was occupied, I was impressed on the accuracy of conveying my history.
When everything was complete, I was warned to be careful not to pop the temp cap off. All week was a struggle to get much accomplished with trying to be gentle on my tooth. I slowly increased the use of it, but ended up saying "click" to my computer many times while trying to reduce mouse use.
Wednesday afternoon, while still having a tender mouth, I had my annual Medicaid review to make sure I'm still a quadriplegic and need help. As the interviewer sits directly in front of me, she asks questions about how much I participate in meal preparation or household chores. For meals, my only participation includes deciding what to eat (when on my own) and chewing. Apparently making a decision counts for something on the evaluation score, but still need complete help. The same goes with shopping, all I can do is decide. Someone else must get me in my chair, put me in the vehicle, drive, place items in the cart, and physically pay with my choice of currency (cash or what card).
After multiple questions along these lines, determining I need help with basically everything other than blinking and talking (assuming my pacemaker is connected and working), it leaves a feeling of slight depression. This is when the barrage of mental health questions begin. This year seemed to weigh heavily on the section.
I was asked the normal questions of my general mood and outlook on life. After this, the interviewer inquired if I have the habit of disrobing in public and making obscene remarks. Considering I can't even dress, or undress, myself in my own bed at home, I answered no. The full Q&A time took about an hour of questioning almost everything. However, I was never asked if I can breathe on my own and need assistance in this small part of life. The interviewer said they weren't supposed to submit extra notes, but would be sure to include it.
Thankfully, after more reconsiderations, my caregiver funding for the remainder of 2026 has been increased. When this week's evaluation is considered, it may result in more appeals and information gathering for 2027. Such is the quad life, but I'm thankful to be able to live at home and be active in the public, while keeping my clothes on.
No comments:
Post a Comment