My last summer activity most years is attending the Iowa State Fair and volunteering at the gospel outreach booth. I was at the booth on the mornings of Friday, August 14, and the following Tuesday. This year, I actually got into a few conversations with people.
The Saturday before the fair started, the booth organizer asked for help getting everything setup. Dad and I joined other volunteers of various ages and helped erect the steel structure, electric lines, banners, and everything else. I talked with a friend I hadn't seen in person for a few years and another one of the regular outreach volunteers. I knew her face well as we've served together in different functions, but it took a while to remember Mary's name. It was a great time of fellowship with like-minded Christians. Shortly after lunch, everything was complete, gospel tracts and booklets were on display, and the booth was ready for guests.Friday morning took over 40 minutes to get in the parking lot, which meant Sara and I arrived a little late to our locations. Soon after, three older teen boys caught a glimpse of a million dollar bill gospel tract and picked one up. As they did, I directed to read the million dollar question on the back. Most people walk away as they read, but this group stayed. I waited a few seconds for the young man to read and then asked him, "Would you say you're a good person?" He responded, "I would say so, but they might not."
Using this, I bounced the question to his friends before taking them through a few of the Ten Commandments. They had all broken at least some of the commands, so I continued with all deserving of hell and Jesus paying our fine. It has been a while since I actually got to take someone through the "good person" test one-on-one, but they seemed to understand and take it seriously.
Later in the day, a lady from a neighboring booth stopped over and I noted her cross necklace. She quickly got to the question she had in mind; do I believe the world is flat or a globe? I answered globe and cited the Bible speaks about the circle of the earth. Before I could get to other scientific proofs, she cut me off and responded with her stance on flat earth and we'll just have to find out when we die. I attempted a reply, but she ran off before I received a breath. I have studied the beliefs of flat earthers and how they deny evidence we can test and accounts from Christian astronauts, but this was my first time speaking with one. Tuesday's notable conversation was with an older woman who believed dinosaurs were primarily made up. I gave her passages from Job and volunteer Mary gave her a booklet on the subject.Regular conversations about the Ark Encounter were had both days with some people wanting to go and others already had. It was a great time though and I'm thankful I was able to volunteer again. Sara and I both commented on Thursday that it's a lot of work, and we don't really see much of the fair, but we already miss not having more outreach opportunities.
This week will be another busy time of doctor's appointments and annual tests. On Tuesday, I'm scheduled to get a temporary crown on one of my upper back teeth. I'm a little concerned how it will affect my stick use, but I will wait and see. It will be another fun time of adjusting in the quad life.

No comments:
Post a Comment