Sunday, May 31, 2020

Short Soggy Hair

After 12 weeks of waiting, I finally was able to get my hair cut this week. It felt good to finally get it cut, but the outing ended up being more of a challenge than expected.

The last few weeks have been wet in central Iowa with storms and rain a nearly daily event. I was concerned it would require me to reschedule, but Thursday morning looked okay. Therefore, my caregiver Sara and I arrived at my barber a few minutes before my scheduled time. We observed all the requirements of mask wearing and everything else and got the job finished.

When we were done, it wasn't raining and although overcast, the sky didn't look very threatening. Directly across the street from where I get me hair done is a small bakery that has treats my mother enjoys. Since she has been extra busy helping me these last few months, I thought I would stop in and get some for her, and me as well.

Sara and I were the only customers in the store, so it was easy to social distance. As we headed to the door with fresh bakery items, we saw it had started raining. The umbrella was across the street in the van though and the rain was too much for me to try to drive through. Sara went to go get the rain protector and return to get me.

She was maybe gone for a minute, but in that time the steady rain increased to a heavy torrent with strong wind. Sara returned holding the umbrella sideways and wearing a very damp shirt. Even though signs said we weren't allowed to use the bakery's seating, we sat and waited for the rain to decrease.

Several minutes later, it looked like we had a break and the downpour relented enough to allow me to get in the van. As we left, strolled 20 feet, and crossed the street, the small monsoon returned and we abandoned the idea of trying to get loaded and took shelter under a small overhang eight feet away from our destination.

More time passed, and Sara managed to get me in the van during a small decrease in the torrent. However, I was now fairly wet and Sara looked like she took a shower fully dressed. Driving the mile toward home, the rain completely stopped about halfway in the trip. Looking at the streets, we could see little evidence of the tropical storm we had just left.

Sometimes, living the quad life leads to interesting experiences that most people hardly notice. Sara spent quite a bit of time drying out the van, my wheelchair, me, and finally changing herself into dry clothes. This has been a year of unforgettable experiences, but I hope my next hair appointment is more subdued.

No comments:

Post a Comment