Monday, January 20, 2014

Balancing Life

As I get older, I'm seeing daily life as more of a balancing act. Keeping work priorities in balance with each other, volunteer work, and physical needs. The last one on this list seems to be the main fulcrum on which everything else tips.
Four kids on a teeter totter

For the past six to seven years, I have been noticing things I used to never give attention now require constant maintenance. One of those items is eating. I'll freely admit, I'm a particular person when it comes to what I like. However, the items I enjoy, I would gladly eat until full and not have to worry about what is was. Now, if something has too much spice, too much bread, or something else, my stomach will blow up like a balloon and I won't want to eat anything for a day or two. The trick is that what I could eat yesterday, didn't go well today, and likely will be fine tomorrow. It feels like an odd Russian roulette of sustenance. A large weight on this balance is now skin issues.

I have posted before about dealing with several pressure sores. I was also diagnosed with pyoderma gangrenosum, an auto-immune disease that prevents wounds from healing. So even if I stayed upside down with my sores hitting only air, they wouldn't heal. In any case, I have been making an effort to take more time to change positions and get off my wholly buns. Instead of sitting up in bed on my computer as I often am this time of year, I lay down flat and on my side more frequently and for longer times. When I know I have work to do, this is very difficult for me to do, because I can't run, or even see, my computer. Two of the three spots are responding well, but the third, and newest, doesn't seem to improve and may be a little worse even.

Aging and SCI are a challenge in maintaining all the ups and downs that come with life. I pray that I'm able to continue to keep a good balance on everything and not let something tip too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment