Monday, January 6, 2014

One Year

We are almost one week in to the new year. In Iowa, it has been a cold year so far with today's high not even getting to 0. This picture is of my outdoor weather station this morning with a temp of -13 and current wind chill of -21. No matter how you look at it, that's cold. I'm thankful to have a nice warm house to live in where it's 70-72 degrees all day.

Yesterday was the first Sunday of the year. So at my church, that means officially installing new elders and deacons. To keep it simple, elders are responsible for the spiritual, or people, concerns of the congregation and deacons for financial matters. Both groups together form the council, the governing body of the church. A few men from the church are put on as candidates and are then chosen by picking out of a hat. A term is three years with three years off before you are eligible again. Yesterday marked one year since I started my term, with two years to go.

The new deacons are just like I was a year ago, first-time to serve and wondering what are we getting into. A year ago I couldn't tell you what we were doing, and somedays still feel that way. Serving on council has been a unique experience so far, learning how things work in the church and determining God's leading for our congregation. We do not please everyone, but do what we feel is the right path for us and what God's will is for us.

Three years is the longest time I've committed to anything. College was only a little over two years long. I pray that I can fulfill my full term, but that will depend on God's plan for the life He has given me. With one year complete, the next two will hopefully go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment