Monday, April 14, 2014

Provisions

For the last few months, we have had several people in my family's church and friends' connections praying for a solution to the insurance problem. As last week's entry said, the answer we wanted did not come through. However, last Friday, we did receive a start in the right direction.

One of the programs my county DHS worker was trying to get did come through. It will cover one of my day nurses for 40 hours per week for three months. This is a long way from the average of 123 hours per week I get now, but it's a start. Also last week, we were told that my main night nurse had requested a six-month leave of absence. The nursing agency had already been looking for another nurse since August, so they were warning us that they didn't know if they could cover more than three nights a week. Tonight, a new nurse is scheduled to train to help fill in the gaps. I don't know where she came from, but it's another step in the right direction.

I have been saying that I continue to rely on God's direction, no matter where it takes me. These past several weeks have been difficult, but we are seeing the possible start of a solution. I just read this article about how God's timing has been evident with the creation ministry and how seemingly impossible circumstances were overcome. Looking back at the life I've been given, I can recount similar times as well.

After more than three years of planning, my family and I still didn't know what college I would attend, and where I would live, over a month after high school graduation. Two weeks before the final application deadline, the nursing company we were working with found enough caregivers to allow me to attend the college I wanted, outside of my hometown.

About three years later, I was close to reaching my lifetime cap on insurance and faced going on state insurance, which would only pay for me to be in a nursing home. Fortunately, a few months before the deadline, we were able to get me on a new plan that covered me until now.

May 7 is still a few weeks away, and more funding options and appeals are in the works. My parents and I have been trying to think of how we could make due with just 40 hours a week as well. In another week, we'll see what has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment