Monday, April 7, 2014

New Horizon

A couple weeks ago, I gave an update on what was happening with my insurance. On March 28, we were told that a panel of doctors were reviewing my case and decide what coverage I would get. That review would take 30-60 days and the decision would become effective immediately. The decision didn't take 30 days.

This morning, I received a call from insurance. Since I no longer use a vent,  they said I no longer need care. If I went back on the vent, I still wouldn't qualify. According to the policy, I have to either be improving to get off the vent, or have a progressive disease that I'm getting worse. Just have a spinal cord injury and being dependent on mechanical ventilation to breathe doesn't qualify. So, on May 7, I will no longer have nursing care.

I called the care facility I visited last year and let them know the situation. I'm going to be working on getting them my information over the next few days. I'm also planning on contacting the media. I don't think anything will change, but just so people know what's going on. I'm not real sure what to think of this development.

At least I'll be able to get my school talk in. Three are complete already with another one this week and the last one in a couple weeks. With the decision final, we at least don't have to wonder what's coming. My parents at least won't have to stay up nights anymore and can go on vacation without having to worry about my coverage.

This isn't the development we wanted, but God's will be done. I enjoy being able to go out and get in the sun when I want, but maybe that will continue. As the next few weeks fold out, I will find out more. I guess keep following to see as I learn what this new situation will be like. We'll wait and see what comes.

5 comments:

  1. Joel, My heart goes out to you and your parents. Trusting - God is in control- He sees the whole puzzle. Let us know if you get response back with Media. You are probably right up there with so many others. Thankful you can get in all your talks this year. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that you get your insurance back and for the stress this puts on you and your family! I know that you realize God is in control, but it can still make things difficult in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the media and God will help turn this around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so wrong! Have you talk to your local congressman? Also, call the television stations in your area. Have them do a human interest piece. This is happening to you but it could be them. You need an outpouring of support from your local community then it needs to be moved to state then the National level. Are you on straight medicare? Do you have any type of Medicaid Waiver? Let me know what I can do to help. I'll write letters and call just tell me what needs done Joel, this is so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, I didn't see these comments until now. I think most were answered via Facebook, but we're continuing to work on solutions.

    ReplyDelete