Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bike Update

Back in July, I started using the FES bike at Younkers Rehab in Des Moines. Since then, I have been going to Des Moines about every other week for a ride. In my time I've done eight sessions and have biked 11 miles. This coming Thursday will likely be my last ride for the year.

In order to get the electrodes on my legs, I have to wear shorts. It's late enough in the year that shorts really aren't an option any more. The forecast for this week is a high of 51° and wind gusts up to 40 mph. We're planning to cover my legs in a blanket and try to make the roll from van to indoors as short as possible.

Biking hat
The newness of it has worn off, but I still greatly enjoy my biking days. My legs are much calmer than usual and it's still a good feeling to have my legs moving a little under their own power. I wish I lived closer to a system or lived in a warmer climate that I could keep going.

We started the paperwork trail to get my own bike not long after my first session, but most of the communication occurred in October. Restorative Therapies, the bike producer, said that we needed to purchase the bike before insurance would pay for it. My insurance said they needed a prior approval submitted, and then they would either approve or deny the bike. We went back and forth a few times, but we're back to me needing to purchase the system in order to get it. Insurance would then be billed and the funds may be recovered.

Unfortunately, I don't have over $14,000 just sitting around to be able to buy the bike. I've been told grants are available, but I'm not able to use them . Therefore, it looks like I won't be able to get my own system to use at home.

I understand this isn't a device necessary for life and that it is just nice to have. If I did get to use it at home 3-4 days a week, the main result would only be calmer legs and maybe getting to reduce my meds. That would be great, but no real difference in the long run (or bike ride).

Hopefully when warm weather returns I can continue my miles. However, with not being able to get my own, I don't know if it would be real helpful to continue alternating weeks indefinitely. Part of the quad life is about making choices. We'll see what comes with this in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment