Sunday, January 10, 2016

Early Morning Post

As I write this post, it's coming close to 1:00 AM. My main night nurse went on a cruise and the agency could not get tonight covered. Thankfully two other nights that were open did get covered and we didn't have many late nights.

On these nights, dad goes to bed early and mom stays up first. I help her stay awake, so we both stay up until about 2:00. Then dad gets up and takes over and mom and I go to bed. It's an odd way to spend the night, but it keeps everyone safe. I'm thankful to have parents that are willing and able to continue to do these nights.

The cold finally hit Iowa today with waking up to -5° on my thermostat and -16° wind chill. I didn't dare venture out to church this morning but did later when it was a balmy 9° in the sun.

On Facebook and the news, the main talk has been of the large jackpot in the lottery. The last I heard it was up to $1.3 billion. A few people have been saying what is the first thing you would do or where would you donate funds. I know that I would be able to pay my caregivers what they should receive and no longer have to worry about state funding.

I think I would maybe try to do more speaking engagements, but setup a funding source where other people needing 24 hour care could live independently as well. It's nice to imagine, but reality would be a challenge to get everything setup.

However, money can also be a root of many problems. Jesus said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. He who is given much, much will be expected of him.

The quad life may be a bit easier with unlimited funds, but I wouldn't want to imagine the hardships that follow. If you do choose to go in with the gambling fever, be sure to be responsible and seek God's will for your life in all things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment