Sunday, March 5, 2017

Book Worm

With all my time spent laying flat, I keep looking for more ways to be doing something. I ran out of a few series I was watching on Netflix and YouTube hasn't been as appealing this year. Therefore, I've been reading more while I'm down during the day.

For Christmas, I received a total of five new books and I just finished the third one Friday afternoon. Two magazines were also squeezed during that time, but they come every couple months. My first book for 2017 was Judge Not by Todd Friel and the other two were How Could a Loving God... and One Race One Blood, both by Ken Ham.

I watch Friel's YouTube channel and somewhat knew what to expect, but this was the first title I've read by him. He uses humor throughout the text to keep it fun to read, but also deals with serious subjects. Each chapter deals with different compromises that are evident in evangelical, conservative churches and gives good advice on how to approach making changes that go back to Scripture.

Ken Ham is a popular author in my library and I generally like his work. I did a full review for How Could a Loving God... in my church newsletter. The short version is that the book deals with a common feeling of uncertainty during times of trial, especially long-term struggles with disease and death. Ham takes you through a time of when his faithful younger brother was suffering a degenerative brain condition that lead to his death. He reminds us of the big picture of why there is pain and suffering in the world and how to apply it to individual cases.

Finally, One Race One Blood also answers a common question of all the different people groups came about if we're all descended from one original couple. It is a more in depth study of a presentation I've seen a few times using simple genetics and modern day examples to show how differences came about.

My last two books are a little more technical, so they may take a little longer to study, but I look forward to it. That's it for the quad life this week, I'll see what's coming with the first full week of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment