Sunday, August 27, 2017

Crooked Quad

Scoliosis is a common problem when children, and adults, have spinal cord injuries. I followed the trend and as a result had rods put in my back in early high school to help straighten me up. It helped a lot, but I will always have somewhat of a curve to my spine.

When I had my rods placed, the back rest in my chair was custom molded to hold me straight. It worked very well, but it didn't fit on my new system.Before getting the update, my old back was scanned and was supposed to be copied over, but that didn't exactly happen.

My parents and I noticed quickly that my shoulders didn't sit as straight, but I didn't think much of it and wasn't too concerned. Unfortunately, that has quickly been changing the past few months.

2012 vs 2016
As part of my back's curve, I can't turn my head to my right very far. I noticed early this year that my range of motion has been getting worse and we're quite certain it is due to my chair. I was fitted for a new back in late May, but now over three months later I am still waiting to get it. A couple weeks ago, my mom and I took a roll around the neighborhood to enjoy the evening. Halfway through our four block trip, I could hardly even keep my head straight to drive my chair.

I'm already up very little, but now I try to be even less until the new system comes. I am thankful though that I can still get up and out and that different supports are available. In order to try to counteract the twisting, I turn to my right as far as I can and hold when I'm not doing much. It looks kind of odd to be looking the opposite way of the TV or computer I'm watching, but I figure it doesn't hurt.

It has taken two years to get to this point and I know a new back rest won't be an instant fix. Hopefully it will improve with time, but I'll see what God has planned for this part of the quad life.

2 comments:

  1. Is scoliosis painful? I mean, does it bring headaches or discomfort in the neck or shoulders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe so, but I can't feel my back anyway.

      Delete