Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father is His Name

About a month ago, we observed Mother's Day. Today is designated to acknowledge the other parenting half, Father's Day. However, who is your father?

For my male parent, I call him dad, pa, pop, old man, and a few other terms. However, I rarely use the term given this day and that most adults use. That is due to one verse Jesus said in Matthew 23:9, "And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

In this passage, Jesus is referring to a spiritual head. Just as today, some spiritual leaders wanted the term as a sign of them being head of a congregation or group of people. Jesus reminded them that He is their Father, not someone who dwells on earth.

As a result, I almost exclusively only say Father when I am praying or reading Scripture. It helps me to remember who I am speaking with, someone that has supreme respect and is my Father in heaven. The few times I've used the term for my dad or grandpas, it doesn't feel right to me and that I'm using incorrect terms. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but it is my reasoning for the terms I use, or don't use.

In my years, I'm thankful for everything God has done for me through my dad. With the injuries mom and I received, he has had to do a lot to help keep us healthy and in a comfortable home. I know the responsibilities get overwhelming at times, but I know I can always rely on him to help when needed.

For several years now, his day has always been while he is helping me at CHAMP Camp as a counselor. I hope he's able to take time on his own to relax and do what he enjoys, but it depends on God's plan for our lives.

For this day, and week, be sure to give thanks for parents and all they do. Especially remember to look to our Father in heaven and remember His sacrifice that He gave for all of us. I look forward to one day meeting Him face to face when this quad life is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment