Sunday, June 10, 2018

Waiting Approval

If you have actually been reading this blog for a few years, you may remember 2014 was a challenge. I lost my insurance plan due to the Affordable Care Act and the new plan I was on decided I didn't need caregivers. The following months consisted of multiple appeals, talking with doctors, politicians, and the Iowa Insurance Commission.

After much prayer and trial, insurance finally agreed to cover my night hours. Working with the Department of Human Services (DHS) and Iowa Medicaid, days were able to be covered through a program called CDAC (Consumer Directed Attendant Care). As I said in last week's post, it requires a lot of paperwork for my caregivers, but it works to get everything covered. However, it requires approval every 6-12 months.

My last approval period was for a full year, starting from July 1, 2017. That year is nearly complete and all the documentation was submitted in early May for authorization past June 30. As of today, nothing has been heard for a decision.

Since my insurance upheavals in 2014, Iowa Medicaid has also made major changes. Some politicians thought it would be cheaper to privatize the insurance and handed it over to three different companies from out of state. Two of these companies have now dropped all clients and it's down to one company handling everything. A multitude of stories have come forward of people not getting necessary coverage, medical companies like nursing homes not receiving payment, and several other problems. With 2018 being a governor election year for Iowa, it has been one of the campaign topics.

Everyone who used Iowa Medicaid had to select one of these private agencies to handle their needs, except if you have private insurance and another Medicaid program. Since that describes my situation, I'm one of the 1% of Iowans that got to stay on regular Medicaid. Since there are few of us, there are fewer staff handling paperwork and it can take longer. It is cheaper for Iowa to keep me on the current system than to deny it and send me to a care facility, but we're still uncertain on what will happen.

Just like four years ago, I will continue to trust in God's provision and go where He takes me. In many ways, it would be easier for my parents especially if I was in a facility. At the same time, I would lose my ability to be able to be active in the community. In less than three weeks, I will have an answer. Until then, I will try to use the time God has given me at home to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment