Sunday, March 31, 2019

Spring Talk

This week officially ended my winter hibernation. On Tuesday, I spoke with a class of Respiratory Therapy students in the Des Moines area.

After several months of not doing anything, I always feel a little rusty getting back into speaking again. However, with doing some videos these past couple months, it wasn't as bad as previous years. It was a very quiet class though, which is not common for colleges. I have learned how to work with quiet grade school students, but adults tend to have follow-up questions.

Tuesday's presentation started off three days' worth of some sort of activity somewhere. I was exhausted Wednesday night, but have been getting back close to normal energy levels again. I'm still suctioning more often than normal, but it has improved as well.

Friday and Saturday were the first times I've been able to bike in nearly three weeks. At the beginning of 2019, the bike's software did an automatic update that now shows exactly how long my legs peddled under their own power. In January and February, they were going anywhere from 20 seconds to nearly a minute without the bike's motor assisting.

My legs felt pretty calm the last two days, but I was surprised to see they still did five seconds of unassisted peddling each day. It isn't much time, but I thought it was good after missing so much and not feeling well. After 34 years of the quad life, I've learned to watch for even the smallest of changes.

With my assistants and I feeling well again, my parents were also able to go on a short one night trip. They have been trying to for several weeks, but something always came up that it had to be canceled. We are all enjoying the weather beginning to warm up again and being able to get out and active.

April doesn't look too busy for now, but I have a few appointments I need to start scheduling again. Hopefully this week will continue to be productive and I look forward to more warm days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment