Sunday, January 26, 2020

Finding more Archives

Unfortunately, the last few weekends have been cold and snowy in Iowa. I had caregivers scheduled so that my parents could get away for a full day, but they ended up staying in town. Therefore, since I had day help, it allowed for cleaning in the basement.

I'm quite certain most households have items that end up getting stored and forgotten about. I know I have posted on a few previous cleaning excursions, but the stuff just keeps bubbling up. After a few hours of work, I was soon given some bags and boxes to sort through.

One of the items was my old Toshiba laptop. I remember getting it in 4th grade and wondering what to do with it. Throughout junior high, it became a well used resource to help write papers and the 8th grade project of an autobiography. For a short time, it was equipped with a straw that I would sip or puff on to make dots and dashes for Morse code. A string of eight dots and dashes produced a single period at the end of a sentence. I quickly returned to using the keyboard and mouth stick to type with much less effort.

This machine was well before modern Windows' operating system and required a code to start it. After more than 20 years, I can't begin to remember what it was or now what to do with it. I was always interested in all the screws showing, so I see an electronic experiment in my future.

Other finds in this round of cleaning produced high school graduation gifts from 2000 and more trinkets I don't remember in the first place. If I keep working on my book, some of these finds do help me recall that time period and what was happening.

In this quad life, I'm thankful for all the tools God has provided for me so I can participate in the world around me. Some had more function than others, but they were all a part of some occasion. Now, a few items can go on to be used by other households while others may collect dust a little longer. No matter what comes this week, I am thankful for every item I've received and their various functions.

8 comments:

  1. There's Amigo in the picture!!! 😍 What's the story of Amigo? How did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember, it has been too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I searched on Google to see if I could find pictures of other Amigos and I found nothing. It seems like Amigo is pretty unique (or I didn't search well) ... The most I could find were stuffed dogs wearing the same train engineer striped overalls...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it! My sister helped me, she's very good at searching things on the internet. The name of the toy is "The Country Folks Russ Cole Railroad Man figurine Shelf Sitter Vintage". It's in stock on eBay and it's $15.99. That tells me nothing about how you got yours but at least I know a little bit more about those toys.

    ReplyDelete