Sunday, May 8, 2022

Outreach Days

The last three days have been the annual Tulip Time celebration in town. For the past several years, I have volunteered with a gospel outreach group. I wasn't sure I would be able to this year, but I did get out for some of the celebration.

Sara has been back for about a month, but she still gets tired easily and can't do much walking. On Thursday, my student nurse Brenda was scheduled to help me in the morning and Sara in the afternoon. I coordinated switching caregivers while I was around church and wondered how to have a calm day for Sara. Watching the weather reports as Thursday approached, it was forecast to be raining all day with cold (for me) temperatures. Rather than try to stay dry, warm, and coordinate switching somewhere, I chose to stay home.

Thursday turned out to be mostly dry with a few glimpses of the sun, but I was thankful I could give my caregivers a calm day. Sara worked all day Friday and I did go with the volunteer group. After listening to two training/educational sessions at church, Sara and I were ready to head out. Thankfully, my group was scheduled to spend the afternoon at an outreach booth and not walk around. I was glad that Sara didn't need to exert herself too much and I had a good gospel conversation with a young couple while having lunch. However, cold weather continued and I came home with a temp of 94.6. It took a while to warm up, but I did eventually.

Yesterday was predicted to be sunny with highs in the low 70's, and it actually was correct. Brenda and I spent the day with the outreach group and it went very well. I enjoyed the sun a little too much and got a slight burn, but nothing too serious. Last night, I didn't have a nurse again and mom and I spent the first hours of Mother's Day together.

I'm thankful for the parents God has given me, and especially mom. They have allowed me to do so much and have made it so I can have an active quad life. I am about to have more open days again, but I know God will provide us with everything we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment