Sunday, November 5, 2023

Eliminating Human Option

Even before 2020, some companies were working to reduce employees and replace them with other options. Retailers such as Walmart replaced some checkout lanes with self-checkout. Therefore, instead of someone checking your items and bagging them, the customer has to do everything. Some stores have completely replaced checkout isles now so that you have no option other than doing it everything on your own. This has become normal routine when shopping, but it causes more problems.

Walmart, and other companies, have had to close stores due to a large increase in theft. Some people have learned to trick item scanners and get an expensive item for much less than the actual cost. Yes, these stations are somewhat monitored by employees, but not very closely.

When getting supplies, I refuse to self-checkout isles. It may require waiting in line for several minutes, but it's still worth it. Having an employee scan items decreases chance of theft, gives work for someone, and can allow for a gospel conversation. The products I purchase are going toward paying that person as well and I don't get a discount if I do their job.

The same thing goes with online interactions. Automation can be used for most items, but human intervention is sometimes needed. The last several weeks, I have talked about my trouble with Facebook. Saturday morning, I tried to make another account with a name and email change. This time, it worked and I was able to login. I started giving friend requests to people I know and were aware of what has been happening. However, the account was again suspended a few hours later as being a duplicate account of one that had been banned.

Without the option to contact an actual person, I can't see what was originally marked to delete my account or help to replace it. Now, even with searching for solutions, I have to guess and see what might work. I'm used to not interacting with many people, but I have definitely noticed the social isolation.

Studies have also shown that Gen Z especially struggles with human interaction and depression from it. Only looking at screens and text instead of verbal communication is something mankind was designed for, and needs.

I will start the appeal process for the third time and see what happens. As winter looms and this quad life mainly stays at home, I'm not looking forward to very limited interaction with people. However, it does at least allow for more time studying God's Word and His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment