Sunday, January 21, 2024

Room Update

Some people like decorating houses to keep up with the latest trends and modern looks. They may paint walls, rearrange furniture, or get new furniture to replace outdated styles. I am not one of those people by any means. My parents and I moved into our house 30 years ago when I was in Junior High. My locker wallpaper has long since been replaced and furniture updated, but less than other areas of the house. This week though, I did have an adjustment.

My room was originally designed so that my caregiver had a chair to the left of my bed, just a couple feet away. At some point, their chair moved to the other side of the room, about 15 feet away, and a large computer desk took up the same space. For a few years, some of my caregivers would use an old computer to browse the internet during down time, but that eventually faded away as well and the desk became a space for paperwork to be collected and processed as needed. It also took up a lot of space in my room.

After more than a year of debating on options, I got a new desk to replace the old one. It came in a box early this week and dad spent a few evenings dismantling the old structure, relocating its contents, and assembling the new desk. Now, it's sitting next to the wall beside me with most of the former desk's contents placed somewhere in or on it.

I may spend 4-5 hours a week outside my room, but that's even an exaggeration sometimes. Therefore, I'm very familiar with my surroundings. I'm getting used to the shorter desk and less stuff directly beside me and am starting to like it. The desk is a little larger than the space it's allotted though and covers a small section of my window. However, it is very minor and my caregivers are enjoying having more space to work with me.

It has only been a few days since the change and everyone is adjusting habits of where to lay equipment when using it on me and new storage locations. I don't think I'll be making further changes any time soon, but it is fun to have a slight redesign every decade or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment