Sunday, January 28, 2024

Ventured Out

Over the years, dad has told many stories of his childhood, and repeated most of them several times. Some of them include cold Iowa winters with lots of snow and the various challenges that came as a result. Weather patterns have changed in 50 years to have cooler summers and more mild winters, at least according to dad's tales.

The last few weeks have resembled what winter was like in dad's recollection. Central Iowa had nearly a week of daily snow followed by another week of dangerously cold temperatures. After that, we have had highs in the mid to upper 30's with almost constant fog and drizzle. I also can't remember the last time I saw the sun.

Due to this, I have stayed at home since leaving church on January 7. On Thursday afternoon, I finally ventured out to get a much needed haircut. The temperature was around 35° with a light rain/mist under gray skies. Relatively speaking, it wasn't bad, but I still wore a t-shirt, sweatshirt, insulated jeans, and put my heavy coat over me. Of course I stayed barefoot, it wasn't THAT cold.

Getting into the van, the lift was very sluggish and could hardly lift my 500+ lbs into the vehicle. My caregiver and I assumed the battery was nearly dead and an attempt to start the van was unsuccessful. With me stuck inside, we called dad at work and he was home a few minutes later to give the battery a boost. Since the commute from home to the barber may take five minutes, it wasn't long enough to charge the battery. Therefore, dad drove my caregiver and I into town and stayed in the van with it running while I got my hair trimmed.

Even with all the extra work, I only ended up being about 10 minutes late. I'm very thankful for the parents God has given me. They not only stay with me when nurses call off, but come at a moment's notice when stranded in the garage. Living the quad life indeed has unexpected times, but it was also a lesson to check vehicles when they have hardly been used.

No comments:

Post a Comment