Sunday, February 4, 2024

Which Way to Go?

In life, we have to make decisions on a regular basis. Most are pretty mundane, such as what to have for a meal or what to wear around the house. For these, the course taken doesn't have major consequences and can be adjusted easily. Major decisions often have good and bad circumstances for either choice and can alter a person's life. However, still other situations seem to not have any easy solution no matter what a person does. Right now, I am dealing with the last scenario, and it's a regular part of the quad life.

I have been working with pressure sores for many years. Thankfully, two of the three I had are completely healed. The third sore is doing well and measurements taken in late January showed it had shrunk since November. This is indeed good news, but I still need to be careful to stay off of it as much as possible, eat plenty of protein, and keep biking for circulation. That seems easy and is a very familiar way of life, until complications come.

For over a month, I have had more drainage from my trach button that continues to increase. For the last few weeks, it has also been red and even started growing a hole in my skin under the button. When I lay flat, with three pillows under my head, the skin gets scrunched, sore, and hurts more. Therefore, it's better for my neck to sit rather than lay flat. That is how a good predicament forms, one area of my body is better when flat and the other is better while sitting. Which way is the best to go?

Sometimes, I am able to get positioned on my side and let my skin be open to the air. This is good for both areas, but it limits what I can do. One of my caregivers and I experimented with getting the keyboard and mouse where I could reach it. I was able to use them, but very limited. Depending on what side I'm on, I have to either view the computer through a mirror or turn my head at odd angles that eventually start hurting my neck and button. I will do it for 45-60 minutes, but that's about all I can take.

Later this week, I plan to break my winter hibernation rule and see my ENT. Hopefully he will be able to help without making any major changes. The day after my appointment, I'm scheduled to open and give testimony at a virtual event for Iowa legislators. I will be home, but need to be able to speak clearly without distraction.

For now, I'm sitting in bed a little longer than I have been and it hasn't been causing an issue. I do like the extra time upright, but need to be careful not to do too much. I will see what another week will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment