Sunday, October 11, 2026

Going out as Lunch

This week was a nice change in Iowa. We went from cold, wet days, to full sun and warmer temps. It helps improves moods and allows farmers to get in the fields and start harvesting.

On Monday, my regular day nurse was on vacation and my parents and I debated on multiple options of what to do. We ended up having lunch near the river before visiting my grandmother at her care facility. With little convincing needed, the four of us were soon taking a trip on the sidewalk around the facility. It was nice enjoying the sun and taking a leisurely stroll and pausing at different points of interest.

When harvest begins in Iowa, bugs that have dwelt in the fields suddenly lose their homes and come searching for other sources of food. Mom was the first to comment that she was getting bitten by little black bugs. I am usually the one that gets attacked by pests, but I didn't notice any around my face or see anything on me. I wasn't happy that mom was being attacked, but thankful I wasn't being bugged.

Not much later, I noticed my left leg was somewhat jumping and my foot nearly bounced out of place. The same happened with my arm, and I wondered what was going on with my limbs. It wasn't long until we had returned grandma to her room and departed back for home. On the way out to the van, I noticed both my hands had red spots on them and presumed they were bug bites.

As dad started my afternoon medical cares, I took glances at my legs and exposed skin as I could. It wasn't long before I noticed a large red area near my knee that looked like it had at least three bites in small concentration.

These findings explained the unusual jumping from my leg and arm. Even though I wasn't feeling the bugs, they were still feasting on me and not getting brushed off. Later in the week, I noticed further bites as my night nurse reported squashing a spider near my room.

Sometimes, it can be handy not to be able to feel most of my body. I don't have trouble with aching joints or anything itching well beyond my reach. However, it's generally a better situation to know if I'm being used as a cafeteria and need help to swat pests.

I briefly went outside again on Friday, but was thankful for a strong breeze to blow away pest problems. It's the time of year when I want to absorb as much sun as possible before cold months arrive, but I also need to watch for other critters enjoying the weather. 

Thankfully, the next few weeks look to be calm in the quad life. I have a few projects in mind that need attention, but I'll see what wins for priorities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment