Sunday, October 4, 2026

Reluctant Change

The calendar has turned again and we are now starting October. With the year progressing, so are the seasons. However, some are more ready for change than others.

In-front of my house, a large maple tree shows off bright red leaves every fall. This year, about half the tree started turning color in June and has been slowly progressing all summer. I wondered if it was a sign of problems, but other maple trees in the area have been doing the same thing.

Earlier this week, during a rare sighting of the sun, I looked out the window and noticed bright red leaves next to fully green on the same tree. It made me initially think of the colors of Christmas, but also a reflection of how many people feel.

Part of me likes to see change and move forward in time, technology, and other areas. A larger part wants to stay with the warmth of summer and not see it end. I am also happy to stay in my ways and not branch out to try new things.

A conservative YouTube news reporter I watch has been advertising a supplement to help gut health for several months. I started seeing it in more places and researched it further on my own. After a few weeks of debate, and asking my doctor, I went ahead and ordered it. I don't have the magical changes advertised, nor did I expect to, but it may be helping a little. It's hard to evaluate after one week, but it's a start.

I also read an article this week that interviewed a quadriplegic, with a lower injury level than me. He gave his experience of having multiple problems, but then connected with other people with experience in different areas. They helped improve the issues he was having and has now had 12 years without pressure sores or infections. I'm thankful he found help, and recommended joining support groups to get and give advice to help the SCI community overall.

This is something I would love to move forward with, but know the support is lacking in Iowa. My local community tried having a wheelchair user group, but it only lasted a few months before dwindling out. I am part of another group of Iowans with spinal cord injuries, but we meet very infrequently and most the group has lower injury levels and therefore different needs and solutions. 

No matter the issue, season or reluctance, I can always give all concerns to God. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever and will never forsake you. He knows our needs before being asked and always fills them in the best way God has planned.

Living the quad life may be very stagnant, but some things do move on. Like our tree, I'll continue to see what stays the same and what progesses ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment