Sunday, March 3, 2019

Wrong Direction

Unless you don't live in the United States, it has been hard to watch what is happening in the political arena. Newly elected politicians started making changes early in January and it hasn't slowed down. When New York state passed a law allowing abortion up until birth, it was all over the news with applause and celebrated as a victory. Other states have looked at similar legislation, but I have yet to hear any that have passed.

Not only are babies allowed to be killed up to birth, but also afterword as well. If a child survives an abortion procedure and is born alive, the medical persons on staff don't have to provide life saving treatment. It is very hard to believe such situations exist in what is supposed to be an advanced, civilized nation.

This week, a bill was brought to vote that would protect these babies and require medical treatment given to them. To me, it seems obvious to have such a law, but 44 senators voted against it, therefore defeating the law. The culture of death has grown rapidly, and I have seen groups working to stop the trend.

Almost daily, I see emails or online posts asking for signatures to support something to decrease or end abortion. These efforts are good and I would love to see children protected from the moment of conception, but they miss the point. Changing laws are good, but they can easily be reversed again by the next generation, or earlier.

Where change is needed is in hearts and minds and individuals saying why all life is precious. Yes, 44 people voted that it's okay to let a baby born alive die, but those people were voted in by many more individuals. Christians need to be active in hearts as well as policies.

I'm praying to get out more this summer and to keep writing about this quad life I've been given. I don't know that I want to guess on what laws may be proposed by then, but I'll look to the lawgiver who is in control of everything.

1 comment: