Sunday, July 10, 2022

Double Preaching

Last week, I preached twice on the same day. In the morning, I was at a small church I served several times last year in Bussey, Iowa. For evening, I served a larger local church that had a small crowd due to the holiday.

When I was approached by these congregations, I was hesitant to agree to do both as I wondered if my voice could handle it and time commitment. However, I concluded I could use the same message at both churches and, from past experience, I only needed to handle the sermon. Therefore, I agreed to serve both congregations on July 3.

As I finished final preparations, I coordinated with the secretary of the local church on my material and presentation. When she gave me the bulletin preview the Monday before I preached, I noticed several blank spots. Asking about them, I then learned I was expected to do the entire service. I was thankful I had a few days to prepare, but wasn't sure if I could do it all. I adjusted my PowerPoint to include the welcome message and further notes and prayed it would go well. Emails late Saturday evening added further changes, but nothing too major.

Sunday morning, I woke up with a dry, slightly sore throat. I tried to stay as quiet as possible to save my voice, but soon sat in the now familiar congregation with a relaxed style of worship. I presented the message, "One Nation Under God," and thought it went pretty well. After lunch, I didn't do much more than watch YouTube and not use my voice.

After a few hours at home, I was again up in my chair and off to my next church. My throat was still sore, but thankfully not bad. As I sat waiting for the pianist to finish the prelude for me to start, I noticed the welcome message I provided wasn't on the screen. As I introduced myself after more than two years away, I still noticed my opening verses were not on the screen. Thankfully, I had written them in my notes, but I didn't have all my text recorded and needed the screen for my message.

I progressed through the first songs while wondering in my head how to manage if my passages didn't appear. Thankfully, as I started the message for the second time that day, the text came up on the screen. I briefly looked at my watch as I began preaching, and when I looked again another 20 minutes had elapsed. I ended up going about 13 minutes longer than the planned hour-long service, but nobody said anything to me.

All week, my throat has been a little sore in the morning, but has thankfully improved. I'm not sure I will agree to do two services in a day again, but it did okay. Currently, I only have one more church scheduled this month and one in late August. I'm thankful to get to be used for God's glory, but need to ease into doing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment