Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas

Early Merry Christmas everyone! With just a little over 24 hours remaining, procrastinators are likely starting to get their gifts. I'm finished with everything, as long as UPS delivers on time that is.

Yesterday was the first of two family Christmas gatherings. We had 43 people all in my grandparents' house, including me. I probably take up enough space for at least two people, so maybe you could say 44. I have enough space to basically turn around and maybe move about a foot or two. Their is something to say about a meeting in a house, it does make it feel much more like a family gathering. However, seating is definitely at a premium. If you want to keep your spot, and don't bring your own chair, then you don't want to move. With a few young kids toddling around, I'm always a little nervous of backing over one.

The next get together is a little more spacious and not quite as many people, so it's easier to move around. Both sets of my grandparents are getting up there in years, so we may not have many of these full family Christmases remaining. Seeing cousins and kids that you only see once a year is something I look forward to. Unfortunately, it's starting to get to the point that, with babies especially, I have to think who belongs to which family.

As you celebrate this year, remember what the day commemorates. The birth of a baby, as foretold for 4000 years, that came to save us from our sins. Commercialization of Christmas has become worse every year, so remember to take time and reflect on the true gift of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment