Monday, December 9, 2013

Oops

Winter arrived this weekend with waking up Saturday morning to a temp of -3 outside. Sunday was warmer, but it snowed most of the day. The total was only a couple inches, but it still makes everything white and blinding in the sun. Officially, winter doesn't arrive for another 12 days, but the cold and snow that comes with it has already shown.

I committed one of the big mistakes in the quad life, I relied too much on others. When you have an assistant 24/7, it's easy to let them help out with daily needs. However, you still need to keep track of what's going on and be a responsible adult, that's where I messed up.

It probably doesn't come as a surprise that I take a number of prescription meds. I'm told I take a lot less than some people, but they are a part of life. Medications don't grow on trees, at least the ones I take, so they need to be ordered monthly. I have it so that I can order most of my prescriptions all at the same time, it makes them easier to keep track of and my pharmacy only has to be bugged by me once a month. Unfortunately, one got off the rotation and has to be ordered at a different time, this is the problematic one today.

Last night, my night nurse cancelled due to being ill and a replacement couldn't be found. So, my main day assistant came in for a short time to do my night cares before my parents took over. When she got my night meds, this is when she noticed it was the last of one of them. Their wasn't another bottle waiting with the others, so I only had one in my travel bag.

First thing this morning I called my pharmacy and reordered the drug and told the person that I needed it today. I asked my parents to stop by after work to see if it was ready and they were told it was out being delivered. As I write this, the pharmacy closed almost three hours ago and it hasn't arrived, so I'm assuming it isn't coming anymore. The missing med helps control muscle spasms, so it just means my arms and legs will have fun flopping around more tonight while I attempt to sleep. As long as my arm doesn't bang against my DPS plug and stop me breathing, it won't be a big issue.

I may have A LOT of experience in the quad life, but I still make mistakes. This is one I'm thankful doesn't come with major consequences, but God does like to give me wake up calls like this. I need to keep better track of things myself, and not always depend on those around me.

We shall see what the next week brings, hopefully warmer temps are part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment