Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Presentation Prep

Today was my last scheduled school talk for 2016. For this school year, I went to four grade schools, one college, and today a high school.

Speaking at a high school chapel service is something I haven't done in several years, so I wasn't sure how it would go. My voice drys out quickly and I have drink breaks worked into my regular presentation. With only 15 minutes to present and not having regular audience input, I didn't have my routine stops.

As I usually do, the first time I did my talk verbally was when I was with my audience. Reviewing in my head the past few weeks, I had several different directions I could have taken and couldn't fully decide on which one to take.

Of course, my night nurse was out Monday night due to an illness, so mom and I stayed up until 2:00. Thankfully, I didn't yawn my way through the presentation and it went pretty well. One student tracked me down afterward and said I was an inspiration for her. A few of the instructors, some of whom were my teachers, thought it went well also. They were happy to see I was able to keep the students' attention!

After I got home, I opened a package from one of the grade schools filled with thank you notes. Many of them said they were glad I came to class, I'm fun, and God loves each of us. Since that is part of what I teach, I love to see they were listening.

Some days are a challenge and I wonder if I should still be trying to live at home. However, days like this when I can fully work to help others make a good argument for keeping on as we are. Another week will come in serving as I am given opportunity.

5 comments:

  1. How cute! Some of the notes were written in Spanish 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the 2nd grade classes I visit is Spanish immersion, where everything is done in Spanish. I introduce myself in Spanish, but then switch to English.

      Delete
    2. How nice is that! Where did you learn Spanish?

      Delete
    3. High school and Rosetta Stone software. I can speak a few phrases, but that's it.

      Delete
    4. That's great! You should study more and make a video in Spanish 😉

      Delete