Monday, November 21, 2016

Three Seconds

Since February, I have been going to Des Moines almost every week to use the FES bike. My caregiver and I know the routine very well after so many sessions. The bike does a warm up for two minutes, then for the next 25 it's a combination of the bike's motor and my leg muscles. After this, it's just up to my legs to do the work. They go for 24 seconds before the speed drops too much and I'm just along for the ride, except once.

A few weeks ago the routine was broken, my muscles decided to add a bit of effort and went another three seconds longer. Granted, this is a pretty minor amount of time, but it is an improvement. I've wondered how long my legs would go if I had my own bike and did it more often, but I am thankful for the ability to get to use it as much as I can.

Ken and I after his baptism
Several times the past few months, I have visited my friend Ken in the hospital after my bike session. He has been in and out of the hospital all year and I'm one of the few people that visit him. I did again this past Friday and was glad to see an improvement in that he recognized me and responded correctly to my bad jokes. The previous week, I didn't get the same response as he was having more problems. I visited him again this afternoon, but not after biking.

I received a message when I sat up after lunch that Ken wasn't doing well and I was the closest one to try to get to him. After a few phone calls, my dad and I were on our way to Des Moines. We found his room and was thankful to see a handful of his cousins were there. About half-an-hour later, the order was given to stop artificial breathing, and Ken passed on from this earth.

Three seconds is a small amount of time, but it's enough to thank those around you. You can thank God for the life He has given you, no matter the circumstances. I'm thankful for the times I was able to help celebrate Ken's birthday and witness his baptism almost exactly one year ago.

As we head into Thanksgiving, remember to take a few seconds even to look at the gifts, and people, around you. In another three seconds, they could be gone from this life and on to the next.

3 comments:

  1. You are such an encouragement! Thanks for the reminder to thank God for all His blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written reminding us to make every second of our life count as we go forward and being thankful for all we have been given. Thanks again for taking the time to remind us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder friend! Thanks for being that kind of friend to so many others, and for me!

    ReplyDelete