Sunday, July 1, 2018

Recouping

It has been over a week since I got back from Indiana and I am still recovering. I've been saying for a few years I'm getting to be an old quad and I'm wondering if it's actually true.

During counselor orientation, the camp founders usually talk a little about why they started CHAMP Camp and the first few years. In 1991, the pilot weekend started with just a few kids that were residents of a children's hospital in Indianapolis. Technology had allowed them to survive spinal cord injuries and other diagnoses and camp's purpose was to enable kids to enjoy life more.

Originally, an age limit or graduation age was not set as it was unheard of for kids with such complex medical needs to live past teen years. I've heard similar statistics before through the years and have seen God carry me beyond every statistic given.

Dave, a camp founder, used me as an example this year to demonstrate how greatly things have changed and how camp has gone further than they ever dreamed. One of the original campers also visits and we relive old camp memories. Both of us have seen the passing of many of our former bunk mates as well. While I have been given many opportunities, I am feeling changes come with the years.

At camp 2017, I was dealing with three pressure sores. Thankfully, they changed very little during the active week and it didn't seem to have a major impact. The same three remain this year, but one of them got nearly four times deeper after the week. As a result, I'm only staying upright 45-60 minutes three times a day. The hot temps and cold air conditioning also has resulted in a lot more suctioning (clearing out my lungs) since camp and just generally being tired.

I am very thankful I was able to do another year and get to work with the campers and some counselors I've known for most my life. I also got to deliver the message at Sunday morning's optional church service for counselors.

If God allows me to get to another year, I don't know about attending CHAMP Camp 2019. It would be great to get to 15 years as a counselor, but I'll see what God has planned. I could give thanks this week for my daytime funding being approved for another year. I'll see what happens in that year and follow God's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment