Sunday, December 9, 2018

Home Therapy

This week will mark one year since I started doing FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) bike therapy at home. I did it for over two years in Des Moines before getting it here and am thankful for the access.

After I complete a bike session, it uploads to a database and records my activity. I get an email report every week as well saying what my stats were. Some activity doesn't get recorded due to internet errors, but most of them get recorded.

My very first time on the bike was July 13, 2015. Since then, I have done over 184 rides for more than 550 miles. In the last year, over 100 of those rides and at least 337 miles were done at home. Despite that much traveling, I can't say I've seen much different scenery.

The first ride I had was for 25 minutes going 1.26 miles. Now my average time is the same, but going around 3.58 miles.

When I was originally injured in 1985, technology like this wasn't even imagined. I'm thankful God has given us the ability to make such devices to help those of us in the quad life or other challenges. Looking at old pictures, I can tell how much my legs have grown in thickness with muscle and improved circulation. I can also see that my feet lay straighter in bed and are more flexible with the increase in use.

If I'm not traveling and sitting a lot, my pressure wounds also heal faster when I get to ride. My doctor attributes much of the improvement to more active muscle movement when cycling. With my first experience in 2015, it was a great feeling to have my legs moving again. I still stay on it a little longer sometimes just because it feels good.

For the next year ahead, I don't know what God has planned. I'm thankful for the time I've had and hope to be able to continue for many more miles to nowhere. This coming week will hopefully provide answers to a different issue, but that will be another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment